Skip to main content


Assembly Bill (AB) 104 - Learning Recovery
Posted 7/31/21


State Assembly Bill (AB) 104 provides options for students and parents/guardians to address learning recovery needs. Each area of the new law is described below.

Student Retention for 2021-2022
Parents/guardians of students enrolled in kindergarten through 11th grade during the 2020-21 school year who received deficient grades for at least one-half of the coursework in 2020-21 may provide a written request to the school for a meeting to discuss student retention for the 2021-22 school year. Staff will meet with the parent/guardian and student to discuss learning recovery options, research regarding retention, and data regarding student progress. The District has the final decision. If you are interested in a discussion regarding retention, please contact your child’s school.

Opportunity to Change Grades to Pass No/Pass
Students who were enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 school year may apply to have one or more letter grades replaced with a Pass/No Pass Grade. Our application process can be found can be found below.
The California State University system must accept Pass/No Pass Grades without prejudice for an applicant who had enrolled in a high school in the state during any school year from 2020-21 to 2023-24. Some higher education institutions, including those from other states, may not accept Pass/No Pass Grades. A separate letter with details on grade change is being provided to families of high school students.

Graduation Requirements
Students enrolled in their 3rd or 4th year of high school during the 2020-21 school year and who are not on track to graduate in four years, will be provided the opportunity to complete the state graduation requirements to graduate. Options can include, but are not limited to, a fifth year of instruction or credit recovery. We are in the process of identifying eligible students and will provide more information as it becomes available.

If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school.

See below for specific Documentation including High School grade changes. 




This news applies to high school students in the Classes of 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024

Under a new state law called AB 104, parents/guardians of students who were enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 school year may request to have a letter grade earned for a course changed to a Pass or No Pass on the student's transcript. Students who are currently over the age of 18 may submit a grade change to Pass or No Pass independently from their parent/guardian. 

The course requested for a Pass/No Pass must have been taken during the 2020-21 school year. There is no restriction on which courses or which letter grades can be changed.

The change cannot negatively impact a student's GPA. When an “F” is converted to a “No Pass,” the zero credits are no longer factored into the GPA. Similarly, changing a “D” or even a “C” letter grade to a “Pass” will likely increase a student’s GPA, depending on the GPA the student had prior to the grade change.

No grade changes will be made that lower a student’s GPA.

How to apply

A letter and the official form to submit a grade change was sent home to all HUSD families on July 31, 2021. This letter is attached.